For details about the Feb-Jul 2019 course, see here
Registrations are now open! See the registration section. [Important: the Wednesday schedule has changed]
The next round of Sugarspin classes runs from Monday 2 September till February 2020. We offer 5 levels, on Monday & Wednesday evenings. The courses contain 20 lessons.
|New to Lindy Hop?||Danced with us before?|
|Hey there! New to Lindy Hop? Then please read the rest of this page! We’ll explain:
• The kind of courses we offer, and what could suit you.
We offer 5 levels of Lindy Hop that each consist of 20 lessons, plus a Solo Jazz class. The first level assumes you’re a complete beginner. No previous dancing experience required. The classes mostly take place on Monday evenings (with the exception of the invitational and Solo Jazz classes.) Our lesson location is in Vinkhuizen, at de Travertijn, Travertijnstraat 6
|Have you danced with us before? Then we still recommend you check out the descriptions on this page that are relevant to you, but here’s a brief rundown of what ‘s changed in our courses structure:
• We will offer 4 standard levels of Lindy Hop. The Sugarbeats (L1), The Lollipops (L2), The Cotton Candies (L3), The Marshmallows (L4). So the Cotton Candies are no longer separated.
The Lindy Hop language
Dancing is like having a conversation. And Lindy Hop is one of the languages you can have this conversation in. Before you can speak Lindy Hop, you’ll need to work on your vocabulary and your pronunciation. This is the focus of our Sugarbeets and Lollipops (1st and 2nd) courses. These courses give you a basis in all the important elements of the dance. This means you can’t miss too many lessons, because every lesson is important. It also means that if you miss too many lessons or notice that you have not picked it up quite as fast as the majority of your classmates, you may best be off redoing the course. And even if you have been a Cotton Candy or a Marshmallow for a while, it never hurts to go back a step and focus on your basic vocabulary and pronunciation. In fact, we highly recommend it!
After learning the basics of the Lindy Hop language, we’ll take you along to explore it in more depth in our Cotton Candy & Marshmallow courses. We’ll pick different themes each time to focus on different aspects of the dance and adjust it to what you and your classmates need most wherever possible. In this way we hope you will turn into Lindy Hop Poets: you’ll be able to create with this language and may event invent a new word here and there!
For the people that really want to study hard on this new language and it’s pronunciation, we offer an invitational level to a selected group of dedicated students.
How fluent do I need to be before I can do each course?
At Sugarspin we offer different classes. The level descriptions below can help with deciding what level will suit your learning best. Everybody learns at their own pace. The more time you spend on working on the fundamentals and basics, the better you’ll be at learning the more advanced stuff later on. Taking a class a second time can really propel your dancing forwards. We think repetition is key in memorising new material. Our regular socials in between classes and at the Upstairs Swing are the best place to practise the stuff you’ll learn in class. If you are in doubt about your level, you can always ask a teacher for advice.
- Sugarbeats You’ve heard of Lindy Hop and want to experience this dance! In this course you’ll learn the fundamentals of Lindy Hop: connection, differences between six- and eight-count moves, and basic steps towards your first Swingouts. We’ll also take you along with us to your first social dance!During this course you can expect:
• Six-count moves such as the send-out, pass-by and tuck-turn
• Eight-count moves such as the promenade and lindy circle
• Floor craft: How to dance in tight spaces
• The Charleston: how to keep dancing when music is really fast!
- Lollipops You’ve finished the Sugarbeats course and feel like digging deeper into the dance. You’ll continue with the material from the Sugarbeats, but you’ll go more into detail and improve all you know. This 20-lesson Lollipops-course will help improve your basics and treats a lot of new moves and techniques. If you want to focus on your basics before moving on to the Cotton Candies you can take this class a second time.During this course you can expect:
• Lindy Hop’s signature move: the swingout
• Techniques such as: frame, compression and momentum
• Learn how to do pop-turns and other spins & turns
• Charleston tandem
- Cotton Candies Your basics are clean and your triple-steps are spot on. You can effortlessly lead or follow a promenade, lindy circle and charleston hand-to-hand. You want to work on your technique and connection as well as expand your lindy vocabulary. This level will feature rotating content and is thus suitable to take multiple times.During this course you can expect to:
• Learn some intermediate figures that surpass the six or eight count system
• Work on your connection
• Perfect your swingout and learn variations
• Delve deeper into Charleston
- Marshmallows You are ready to learn more advanced moves, but you also realise that you’ll need to return to the ‘old’ moves to hone your fundamentals. You know how to effortlessly lead or follow swingouts, charleston in tandem and fast Lindy Hop. You are starting to use rhythm variations in your footwork and know how to use connection to dance beyond just the figures. This level will feature rotating content and is thus suitable to take multiple times.During this course you work on:
• Obtaining a deeper understanding of the principles of the dance
• Blending Charleston and Lindy
• Perfecting your fundamentals
• Learning rhythm and figure variations
- (Invitational level) Butterscotch You are loving Lindy Hop and people can regularly find you on the dance floors of socials and practice sessions. You often visit workshops in other cities and maybe abroad. You find yourself wanting to learn more than what’s offered in the normal lessons and are ready to really challenge yourself to raise your dancing skills. In order to be accepted to this level you will have to be invited.
- Solo Jazz In this class we will work on solo jazz skills. You’ll learn some techniques and figures, which you can use to improve your Lindy as well. We’ll also be working up to routines: famous ones like the Tranky Doo and the Big Apple, and eventually there might even be room for our own choreography…You can take this class in addition to any of the other classes.
There will be a free social dance from 20:00-20:45, open for everyone, especially visitors.
Schedule [Important, the Wednesday schedule has changed]
Lessons from Monday 2 September till February 2020. The first Sugarbeats class is a free open lesson.
|Monday schedule||Wednesday schedule|
|Large Room||Small Room||Small Room|
|19:00 – 20:00||Sugarbeats||Marshmallows||19:00 – 20:00||Butterscotch|
|20:00 – 20:45||Social dance||–||20:00 – 21:00||Solo Jazz|
|20:45 – 21:45||Cotton Candies||Lollipops||21:00 – 21:30||Stretching|
Registrations are open! Register here (be sure to read the relevant course and payment info on this page!)
To encourage a good lead/follow balance (we usually have more follows), we encourage you to sign up with someone of the opposite role. This ensures you have a spot (if the class is not full). But you can also sign up alone (especially leaders). We will rotate partners in class. Registrations are accepted in order of registration, as long as the class is balanced. Failure to complete the payment instructions in time may put you back on the waiting list.
Membership Fee and Course Length
At Sugarspin we teach 2 courses a year. To participate in lessons you have to become a member of Sugarspin. The membership cost for one course duration is €120,-. It is possible to pay the membership fee of €120 in two terms. Please note, that not paying the second term will result in loss of membership for the duration of that term.
De Travertijn Travertijnstraat 6, 9743 SZ, Groningen
Use the side entrance on the right hand side of the building.
By car, you can follow Arduinlaan and the Vuursteenstraat. Please park your car at the street at the Travertijn side, as parking at the other side is not allowed. The parking behind the building is for residents only.
I’m new, and all this is overwhelming me. How do I just start learning Lindy Hop?
Sign up for the Sugarbeats That’s our complete beginner level. No previous dancing experience required.
Can I get a taste for Lindy Hop before I sign up?
Yes! We have an open lesson on 2 September. You can sign up after the class if you like it. Be quick though, spots go fast!
I’m new to Sugarspin, but have Lindy Hop experience elsewhere. For which level do I sign up?
We recommend you read the level descriptions and determine what you think fits your experience level. If you’re still in doubt, send us an e-mail or ask one of the teachers at the open lesson.
I’ve danced in the Lollipops, which level do I sign up for?
You will receive an email with a recommendation for a level. If you would prefer to take the Lollipops level again, then you are free to do so.
I’ve danced in one of the Cotton Candies groups. Which level do I sign up for?
You will receive an email with a recommendation for a level. If you would prefer to take the cotton candy level again, then you are free to do so.
Is the Marshmallows level the same as the Pink Cotton Candies level?
No. The new cotton candies level will replace both the blue and pink cotton candies level. The Marsh mallows are one level higher.
I’m a Sugarbeat, what do I do?!
Sign up for the Lollipops
For whom is the invitational level?
This level is being introduced for those people who are actively and consistently working to improve their dancing, and also based on the factors for the level recommendations (see the recommendation question in this Q&A). This level expects that you review the material of every lesson, and know the material of previous lessons.
I signed up, but didn’t receive an email saying I’m accepted.
Class balance is always taken into account. For every follow, there must be a lead. So you can give it more time, encourage a friend to sign up, or find a partner to sign up with (found one? Send us an email and let us know)
I feel that I was given the wrong level recommendation, what do I do?
The level recommendations are based on several factors:
– Time you spent practising
– Prior dancing experience
– Your personal learning curve
This way, we can make sure everyone has a good learning experience within classes to progress. If you feel that you should be in another level, please contact one of the teachers, or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There will, unfortunately, no longer be practise sessions as you knew them. However, we will try out social dances every other Wednesday in the large room. If you’re dead set on practising during that time, you’re free to do so.
If I’m invited for the invitational level can I still dance with the Marshmallows or the Cotton Candies?
If class balance allows, then yes
Can I take the Solo Jazz class together with a Lindy Hop class?
Yes you can. You can also only take the Solo Jazz course if you like, or only a Lindy Hop course.
What’s the stretching part in the schedule?
That’s, well, some stretching which you can do. More info will follow on that. It’s not something you can subscribe too though.
Do I have to pay more to follow the Solo Jazz course?
We don’t charge per course you take. We only charge a membership fee. Members are allowed to subscribe to one Lindy Hop course (possibly two, if class balance allows), and also the Solo Jazz course.
So if you’re a member, you can take a Lindy Hop course, the Solo Jazz course, or both. The cost is the same, which is €120 per semester.
No more long socials on Mondays?
No, unfortunately not. But we’ll have a good and lively social in between lessons!
I’m ready! Let’s go, I want to start now!
Well easy there you eager beaver. We know, it’s a bummer to have to wait. Buuuuut….we will have social dances during the summer, every Monday from 19-22h. At the same location we have lessons. So if you’d like to continue dancing, or bring a friend along, then you can.
I have a question that’s not on this page.
Send it to us, at email@example.com